Trying different things


OK, so I had a tough time explaining to my family and friends why I was taking a trip to the Thimble Islands, mid-week, with a busful of senior citizens, without my husband on our 13th anniversary. We rarely do anything celebratory and this trip was only available to Marist CLS (Continuing Lifetime Studies) members, a group I applied for and was fortunate enough to be accepted in (a few years earlier than I anticipated). It seems most of the members are 10-20 years my senior. I am actually the baby.  As I am always up for a worthwhile photographic journey, especially when it includes lunch and no driving, so I signed up.

Those seniors really know how to have a good time. They started out by playing with bubbles.

I was afraid I'd be like a fish out of water, not knowing anybody. But I pulled out my trusty ipad2 and started showing it off. Before long, I had shared that I used to work for our local newspaper and pretty soon folks were calling me "Miss Poughkeepsie Journal"

Bubblegum pop music from the 60's played on the bus radio - "The Purpose of a Man is to Love a Woman," "Tracy Never Let Go," "Oh, Sweet Pea, C'mon and Dance with Me," - songs I had long forgotten.  The bus pulled up to the restaurant at 11 am.  Mmmmm. Lobstah!


The Thimble Islands themselves are 25 small islands with some ritzy, New England summer homes situated on granite off the coast of Branford, Ct.  Charming to look at, they are not all electrified or have water available to them. One is nothing more than a gazebo.


But many have large, magnificent mansions on them, including pools and tennis courts. One of the islands, Money Island, has several homes and was once a bustling, self-supporting community.  Today, they are all just summer inhabitants and many of them took a beating with the recent storms.

The Seniors were a fun bunch. They all seemed to like my photography, so I felt like quite a celebrity. We lucked out and had wonderful sunshine as we cruised around the islands. The trip home, however, the skies opened up. But, it was a nice day and I made a few new friends. Next time, though, I'd like to bring the old husband along. He loves the sea and sharing my silly adventures with me. He probably would have liked Chuck (below) who was happy to have his picture taken.

Any day taking pictures is a good day.  Happy shooting, friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cead Mile Failte Ireland

Day Trip with my Daughter

Getting Out and Shooting Again