Clara Newby - An Inspiring Artist with an Abundance of Energy


With her sparkling blue eyes, Clara Newby, showed me the "new" art she is selling at The Old Bakery and Emporium.  Clara, who has been an artist for many years, mostly painting flowers, is one woman who is willing to learn new things.  Just recently she has been experimenting with an acrylic art form (see the image on the bottom left) that "works a bit like watercolor" but the paints kind of swirl and take off on their own.  She has an eye for color and which ones work well together.



Clara, a longtime volunteer at the Old Bakery, told me proudly that she is turning 94 in the end of March.  Hard to believe as you watch her move and hear her speak.  "I used to drive from Victoria to Rockport for art lessons," she explained to me. She didn't have a clue what she was going to paint until she got there but they always came out rather nice.  She showed me some of the notecards that she sells and I recognized them as ones I had already been attracted to and purchased.  She used to volunteer at the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center as well.


Clara is a favorite at the Old Bakery because she is so willing to learn new things.  One of the young employees told her about ordering groceries online and she went home and gave it a try. Now she is enjoying going to the computer and making her order and having it delivered right to her door.  


It was such a joy to sit and chat with Clara and get to know her a little better.  Her smile is infectious and her spirit is amazing.  I've been lucky to have the experience of volunteering at this City-run building where local artists over 50 get to sell their art. It's great to meet the artists as well as telling visitors what wonderful things we have here in Austin to see and do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cead Mile Failte Ireland

Day Trip with my Daughter

Doing my best to capture Austin's weirdness