Learning From Others


I always come away with some wonderful new tidbit of knowledge every time I go out with other photographers for a shoot. Can't say enough good things about Meetups - they sure helped me meet like minded people and helped my transition from New York to Austin, Texas go smoothly. 

For one thing, I am learning new parts of the city that I otherwise never would have explored.



This past Sunday, a group of us explored West 5th St. At first, it looked to me to be a very modern, somewhat boring looking section of the city. But, through the eyes of my new friends, I discovered it was as ecclectic as all the rest of Austin - old and new mingling with funky architecture and interesting characters.


I followed a woman who's photos I have admired on Facebook, Tracy and marveled at the things she discovered to shoot. She first set out for the skateboarders.


Then she was interested in reflections on buildings. I am generally taken by small details or large landscapes, so this was a fun challenge to see what I might come up with.  Here's a self portrait.


We found some beautiful old homes that had been re-constructed to be small businesses and then we found an old honkey tonk that was made up of train cars, now closed down.


The saddest buildings were ones that used to house a large art community that has moved to another location, but it's enormous, colorful buildings looked so sad. Wish I could renew the interest in a new artist community to go in there.


At any rate, I am glad to be a part of the photography meetup group. We gathered afterward and had a nice dinner. One photographer, a professional and also a college professor,  did all his shooting on the latest ipad and his results were amazing. So, the world is changing and I am having fun documenting it. Hope you are, too.  

Keep shooting friends.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cead Mile Failte Ireland

Day Trip with my Daughter

Getting Out and Shooting Again