Nine Tips to Taking More Interesting Photos

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog! I'm starting a new job - working for a brand new organization called Seekr

Seekr is a place where you can book an experience with a "Local" here in Austin.  There are some great experiences being offered. In my case, I offer two different kinds of experiences:


1. A 2-3 hour trip around Austin to discover some of the fun spots that can only be found here in Austin, Texas, such as Hope Gallery, Barton Creek, South 1st Street and perhaps SoCo or Mayfield Park, depending on what exactly you like and I'll take professional quality images of you enjoying those places. 

2. The other opportunity I am offering, through Seekr is the chance to work one-on-one with you improving your photography, using some great Austin sights as your focus. 

When speaking with Seekr's Founders the other day, they asked me what tips I'd offer to take meaningful images of people who are purchasing experiences.  You want to say a lot in one still image, so, here's nine tips to get more interesting photos.

1.  Tell a Story. What's going on? How can you show folks what the experience is about? Don't just have your subject standing still waiting to participate - get them actually participating.


2.  Keep it Simple.  Don't try to tell too much - cluttered images that try to encompass everything you are seeing often become too much for the viewer. Zone in to something unique and try to put your own perspective on it.

 3.  Look For Different Viewpoints.  Around here, everyone has a picture of a peacock, so how can you find a different way to photograph one?


4. Go Abstract.  Look for lines, shapes, contrast, patterns, and textures.  Famous photographer Art Wolfe is doing this right now, giving lectures and seminars. After years of shooting beautiful landscapes and all over the world

5. Use What You Have.  Today's phones have cameras in them that are way better than the first cameras that I shot with.  Photographer Chase Jarvis wrote the book "The best camera is the one that's with you," almost 10 years ago.   So, take lots of pictures and....

6. Edit them Well.  When I first decided to go pro, I asked someone to mentor me. He said, "OK - take 100 pictures every day and throw 99 of them away."  I still can't throw them all away but I have become better at selecting two or three that tell the story of the day and posting only those. There's nothing worse than someone having a party and posting all 144 images of it.

7. Try Black and White.  My camera is actually always set on black and white. I find it gives me a different perspective and helps me see the shadows and light better. I often end up liking the picture better in black and white in the end.  Even if you are using your phone, try a filter and see how you like the image as a monochrome, especially when you have a lot of shadows and light.

8. Shoot Signs.  Signs tell our viewers where we've been and also remind us of the name of the place when we want to go back. 

9. Don't forget to get that iconic image of yourself in a place.  In a day and age of selfies, I probably don't need to remind you of this one, but it's always fun to look back on that "I was here" shot.  It's even better if you can get a professional to document you in those spots... and you can have that by booking your experience with me through Seekr.


Seekr Local:  Chris Davis Cina
As a professional, award-winning, I am eager to help you get great pictures of your own and discover exciting Austin.  I teach Landscape Photography at the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center and can help you get to know the dials on your camera better and give you some tips on composition. As a relative newcomer to this city I know where to find all kinds of great places to photograph and just enjoy. Let me show you the Austin that I love and you, too, will fall in love with this great city.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cead Mile Failte Ireland

Day Trip with my Daughter

Doing my best to capture Austin's weirdness