Always Something to Learn


I went on a Spring Camping Extravaganza hosted by Precision Camera and Mandy Lea Photo last weekend in Garner State Park. Despite the overcast weather, disappointing sunset and rained out sunrise, I came away with a few worthwhile images and good vibes from a fun photographic get together. My friend, Tricia, made her maiden voyage in her new-to-her Tab Camper, Towanda. I always enjoy an adventure with Tricia.  


It was fun meeting the other photographers at a delicious pot luck dinner.  Saturday morning was overcast but we all had a good time seeking out worthwhile photos utilizing the reflections in the water and the fun trunks of the Cyprus Trees.  



It was nice and serene in this beautiful spot and I was grateful for the time Mandy spent with me.  She helped me figure out a peculiar setting on my camera and explained why auto bracketing is preferable to manual bracketing. It was nice to catch up with someone who inspires me (her journeys and photography are very definitely worth following!) And I enjoyed the challenge of coming up with my "5 best photos" even though it felt as if I hadn't gotten any really good ones.  I enjoyed watching a a duck return to a nest of little ducklings (which I never would have seen if not for my zoom lens).




Mandy helped me select five after I had narrowed it down to12 or so. She explained why she liked the ones she did which is always helpful to a photographer. She watched me edit them and made an occasional suggestion which I really appreciated. During the quiet afternoon hours, I enjoyed catching up socializing with some of my favorite photographers.  Sitting in nature, listening to the birds and chatting about photography - is there anything better than that? 


We were disappointed in the color of the sunset that evening, but thanks to auto-bracketing, I was able to bring out some of the color.


And afterwards, Mandy gave us a slideshow of all the members "5 best" and it was great to see what others had managed to shoot.  Greg Burger of Precision had the BEST wild turkey ever! Everyone had different perspectives and their own unique takes on the same scenery.

A storm prevented us from shooting again on Sunday morning but it left us with a pretty sky and a lot of good vibes on the whole weekend.  



Take advantage of learning opportunities like this if you can.  We are fortunate that Precision Camera offers such experiences and Mandy Lea and Kendrick Callaway make it back to Texas to provide us with a fun camping and photography weekend.  Check out her other workshops - It is definitely worth following her online and getting to spend time learning from her - she is practicing her craft 24/7 as she travels, photographs, gives talks and now writes books as well.

Keep shooting, friends!!!

Comments

  1. This is so wonderful! I'm grateful I was able to give you some inspiration, your images are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool!! You never know what you will learn at Mandy's workshop!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cead Mile Failte Ireland

Day Trip with my Daughter

Doing my best to capture Austin's weirdness